Edge Environment (Edge), is a leading international sustainability consultancy, with offices in the US (Boston), Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide), New Zealand (Auckland), and Chile (Santiago). We use our rare combination of expertise in sustainability science, strategy, and storytelling to help our clients generate value by pursuing one of the world’s most critical imperatives – creating a truly sustainable economy, society, and environment.
We’re a team of passionate, collaborative, experienced sustainability experts that partners with leading multi-national businesses across a wide range of industries, to pursue the critical shared mission of creating a world where unsustainable is unthinkable.
As an Edger, you’ll have the chance to work with an amazing team of like-minded humans to generate a major positive influence on the world.
We have an opportunity for a passionate, motivated, and technically astute Senior Sustainability Consultant with a focus on Circular Economy and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), as well as Carbon and Climate Resilience solutions, for our US clients.
Our Circular Economy and Life Cycle Thinking (CELT) team brings deep expertise and a strong reputation in sustainability science, life cycle assessment (LCA), and circular economy concepts, strategies, and initiatives, to help our clients understand the impact of their products, services, and organizations, and to transition to a more fully circular economy.
This role will be responsible for leading projects using the team’s critical technical and analytical work based on the latest sustainability science and circular economy concepts that help our clients achieve their circular economy objectives. Roughly 65% of the client project focus of this role will be on projects focused on our CELT services, with the other 35% focused on our other key services areas, including Carbon and Climate Resilience, Sustainability Strategy, Sustainability Leadership and Transformation, Sustainable and Ethical Procurement, and Sustainability Delivery.
This role location is flexible within the continental United States. Our US team works in a remote-hybrid approach, using a combination of primarily work-from-home and periodic teamwork in co-working spaces.
This role will be responsible for leading Edge project teams in conducting various types of technical, quantitative and qualitative analysis to support CELT team or other service area projects. Examples include:
- A combination of project team leadership and hands-on support to provide timely and high-quality quantitative analyses including life cycle assessment (LCA); corporate and/or product footprinting (carbon, water, other); science-based targets for climate impact reduction; climate impact scenario modeling; qualitative analyses such as materiality assessments.
- Analyses to support the development of circular economy solutions.
- Providing project management oversight to ensure that client projects are delivered with excellent quality, efficiency, client and project team satisfaction, on time and within budget.
- Collaborating with project team members and team leads in the US, as well as with global Edge team members as needed, to develop and deliver recommended solutions to clients’ sustainability opportunities and challenges.
- Preparing and delivering timely, high quality, clear, compelling summaries, reports, and/or presentations of analyses, and delivering results, insights, and recommendations to clients.
- Supporting the project team in helping clients to fully understand and successfully implement the project team’s recommended solutions.
- Nurturing client relationships, identifying and understanding client needs, and identifying additional opportunities to help clients advance along their sustainability pathway.
- Collaborating with other Edge US and global team members in internal efforts as needed, to improve our solutions, processes, and ways to better serve our clients and team.
- Maintaining awareness and strong understanding of the latest science, trends, and innovations in the area of circular economy and life cycle thinking, and sharing Edge’s knowledge in these areas internally or externally as appropriate.
Essential skills and experience
- 3-4 years’ experience in sustainability consulting, particularly in performing LCAs independently, preferably using SimaPro. Experience/skill in leading sustainability consulting project teams.
- Strong understanding of general sustainability topics, particularly those relevant to LCA, carbon footprinting, circular economy, and Edge’s other service areas.
- Extremely strong overall quantitative analytical skills; skills and affinity for analysis, data management, modeling, and drawing insight from data analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or similar.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; report writing skills; proficiency with MS Office Suite (particularly Excel).
- Outstanding organizational and individual project management skills and ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Strong passion for sustainability.
Desired skills and experience
- Master's degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Sustainability, or similar.
- Experience with, understanding of, and/or ability to learn additional LCA or analytical tools (e.g., GaBi, R, others).
- Experience in applying analytical skills to areas such as corporate footprinting (carbon, water, waste); Science Based Target development; climate impact reduction scenario modeling; materiality analysis; environmental product labeling including EPDs; building and infrastructure modeling; end of life and waste scenario modeling.
- Specific experience with the sustainability issues, analytics, and solutions in sectors including food/beverage/agriculture; consumer products and electronics; life sciences (pharmaceuticals and medical devices); built environment/infrastructure/transport.
Thriving at Edge
To thrive at Edge you will bring:
- A strong commitment to Edge’s corporate mission and values.
- A collaborative spirit that is happy to work with humility as part of a talented team
- Sharp focus on client needs and on identifying solutions.
- Ability and comfort with taking initiative and responsibility/ownership for your work, while knowing when to ask for help and collaborate with others.
- Willingness to travel as required to accomplish team goals (approximately 10% of work time as public health guidelines and precautions allow).
- A firm commitment to providing Edge clients with the best service and advice to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism, on time and within budget.
- Desire and ability to foster “client friend” relationships with key companies and organizations within all relevant areas of Edge’s work.
At Edge, we offer
- Competitive compensation and a wide range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability insurance coverage, a company-funded retirement savings plan, and generous paid holiday, vacation, wellness, and parental leave.
- Flexibility, technology, and the trust needed to make a meaningful impact.
- Ongoing investment in your training and development.
- Opportunity to participate in our profit share bonus scheme.
- Opportunity to work for a certified B Corp that lives our values.
At Edge, we believe the best solutions come from bringing together the best minds and a broad range of perspectives. These diverse minds and perspectives are critical to helping solve the environmental, social, and economic challenges society faces. We deeply care about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected, and empowered and are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or life stage.